Arthur Garcia

Arthur Garcia

Arthur Xavier Garcia was convicted by a jury of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon on Dec. 6, before being sentenced to five years in prison by that same jury.

The 31 year-old Houston man was charged for threatening a theater manager with a knife in 2017.

According to Assistant District Attorney Grayson Miller, Garcia took his 5-year-old son to the AMC Theaters at the Fountains in Stafford on March 5, 2017.

Garcia became drunk, caused a disturbance, and was cut off by the bartender.

A manager at the location approached the defendant to calm him down, offer him water and a snack, and deescalate the situation.

Garcia was rude and aggressive with the manager, who then informed the defendant he needed to leave.

When Garcia refused, the police were called.

Before officers arrived, Garcia started walking towards the theaters, yelling and pushing the manager.

The manager tried to stop Garcia when the defendant pulled out a pocket knife, pressed it to his victim’s chest, and told him he was going to stab him.

The defendant also threatened to come back and shoot the theater up.

Stafford police officers arrived as Garcia was walking out of a screening room and found the knife in his pocket.

Garcia was also aggressive with the officers, threatening one during the transport to jail.

Officer Alvarado was extremely professional and calm the entire time he sustained the abuse.

After the defendant was booked, officers also found a blue pill containing methamphetamine.

“In a world filled with violence, we go to the movies to escape the constant bombardment and stress of daily life — not to come inches from death for simply doing your job,” said Miller.

“I am proud of the victim’s bravery, facing the defendant in court, and ensuring that justice could be done. I am also thankful the Stafford police officers responded quickly and professionally to an extremely dangerous situation.”

Garcia was tried in the 458th District Court before Presiding Judge Robert L. Rolnick.

Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon is a second-degree felony punishable by 2-20 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000.

The defendant was eligible for probation.

Assistant District Attorneys Grayson Miller and Thomas Pfeiffer prosecuted the case.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Thank you for Reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.