Local organizations that help to bring tourism and visitors to Rosenberg can apply for a Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) Fund reimbursement grant for the 2021-2022 year beginning Friday, Sept. 10.
The city of Rosenberg collects a 7% hotel occupancy tax from hotels, bed and breakfasts, and other lodging facilities.
By law, these funds must be used to promote tourism and the hotel industry within the city. Each year, Rosenberg City Council approves an amount of HOT funds to be allocated to outside organizations, and this year, council voted to set that amount at $75,000.
Events or activities are eligible to apply for the HOT funds grant if the applicant’s planned use of funds falls within at least one of the following eight categories:
- Constructing, improving, enlarging, equipping, repairing, operating and maintaining a convention center or visitor information center.
- Paying the administrative costs for facilitation of convention registration.
- Advertising and conducting promotional programs to attract tourists and convention delegates or registrants.
- Encouragement, promotion, improvement and application of the arts.
- Funding historical restoration or preservation programs.
- Funding certain expenses, including promotional expenses, directly related to a sporting event within counties with a population of under 1 million.
- Funding the enhancement and upgrading of existing sports facilities or sports fields for certain municipalities: if the municipality owns the facilities or fields.
- Signage directing the public to sights and attractions that are visited frequently by hotel guests in the municipality.
Applications are available beginning Friday, Sept. 10, and completed applications must be postmarked, emailed or delivered by hand to Rosenberg City Hall located at 2110 Fourth St. Rosenberg, TX 77471, by Friday, Oct. 8, at 5 p.m.
An evaluation committee will review applications and submit funding recommendations to City Council in October. In November, the council will consider approval of the HOT grant reimbursement agreements for the projects.
The application and guidelines are available at City Hall during normal business hours or on the city of Rosenberg website. For more information, contact Director of Communications, Tanya Kveton at 832-595-3526 or via email at email@example.com.