Fort Bend County has seen a constant parade of newspapers since its inception in the early 1820s, as names such as the Brazos Delta, Texas Sun, The Nation and Rosenberg Silver X Ray have come and gone in an effort to keep the public informed.
The name of the first newspaper in the county is not known, but it is safe to say that here have been newspapers published in Fort Bend County almost as long as there has been a Fort Bend County.
Mirabeau B. Lamar was co-owner of one of the first papers published in the county. He took over several months after the publication of the Richmond Telescope and Texas Miscellaneous Register, was founded by David Wood in 1839. The competitor of the Richmond Telescope and Texas Register, the Richmond Gazette started publication in 1838, but went out of business after three years.
It was not until 1888 that a newspaper was established that would be considered permanent. The Richmond Democrat, published for seven years and then was sold and the new owner changed the name to The Texas Coaster.
In 1967, The Herald Coaster became a five day daily.
Today, the Fort Bend Herald and Texas Coaster prints six days a week and serves west Fort Bend County, including areas of Wharton County, Austin County and Brazoria County as well.